Home Forums Community Forum Vimeo performance façade creates color bars on Android

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m seeing behavior where the option to display a façade for embedded Vimeo videos doesn’t work properly on Android. Rather than a façade, I see color bars (think old television when channel goes off air). Same site on iOS displays the façade as expected, and is working in desktop mode fine as well.

Anyone else seeing this?

letjknow
    Participant

Same here! Anything around this where it just shows the video thumbnail without loading the full video and having Video Facade enabled?

KJ1234
    Participant

This is now happening in places other than Android. I see the same in desktop versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox. Also, Safari in iOS.

I left the feature on when it was Android issue only, but at this point it’s just not functional/usable from what I see.

cormip
    Participant

Here’s the ridiculously impractical solution I received from Vimeo Support for this problem:

=======================================================
    Austen (Vimeo Support)

Sep 23, 2021, 6:55 PM EDT

Hi there,

Thanks for writing in about this, and I’m so sorry for the trouble here.

We recently made an update to our security protocols that included all thumbnails in videos. This was intended to be a non-breaking change across the platform but in cases like yours where links were hardcoded, we were not able to seamlessly update to the new image link structure.

This can be fixed by initiating an API call to GET the thumbnail of a video from the Vimeo servers. We recommend implementing this regularly instead of caching the video thumbnail URLs and also recommend batching these calls if possible which will be more efficient.

You can find additional documentation on how to retrieve your thumbnail URLs via the Vimeo API on our development site here. A member of our engineering team created this video tutorial as well.

I understand this change alters what’s required for your application and your workflow as a whole. Our team is committed to finding solutions that allow you to maximize your usage of Vimeo to deliver the highest quality experience for your customers. To that, please do let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s anything else I can do to help.

Sincerely,
    Austen
    Community Support Associate

================================================================

It’d actually be easier to host my videos elsewhere than to work out the code to make this work like Vimeo indicates. Has anyone worked this out? Avada Support, can you address this in the theme Vimeo Widget directly?

Paul

ModelTeaching
    Participant

Im having this issue as well. Hope avada fixes in the next update or simply allows us to select an image manually for the element.

KJ1234
    Participant

This is listed in the fixes in Avada 7.5:

• Vimeo video facade showing a colorful stripe image on mobile

I re-enabled facade and tested. Still color bars in iOS/Safari as well as desktop/Firefox. So not sure what was fixed. I disabled again.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by KJ1234.
    ModelTeaching
    Participant

Im having the same issue. Has anybody seen this issue on desktop and fixed it?

stumur
    Participant

Following.. I need a solution to this too – Facade works fine with Youtube but not with Vimeo, it seems, on my Macbook in Chrome. Vimeo support hasn’t replied yet. Hope someone finds a solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.