Home Forums Community Forum Page Speed Test (Mobile)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi

Anyone recently tested the speed of their website (on Google Page Insights) and notice a big decline for the Mobile test in recent weeks?

I used the link below to test a number of websites (including mine) and speed tests have sharply declined. The desktop test however appears ok, but the Mobile Test appears to be affected.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Not sure what’s going on, but appears that’s it’s not just Avada, but other themes and WordPress installations appear to be affected.

Does anyone have any further info on this?

Thanks

stevieprince
    Participant

I’ve got exactly the same issues and have been trolling the internet to find some way of fixing it.

I often had sites scoring in the high 90’s for both mobile and desktop, that’s now out of the window with all Avada based sites scoring in the 20s and 30s for mobile (desktop still scores okay).

I hope sorting the speed on mobile is high on themefusion’s agenda as Google uses it in its ranking factors. I really don’t want to move away from Avada because it’s so flexible, but fear I’ll be forced to look elsewhere if the mobile speed issue isn’t resolved.

My current thoughts on a workaround are to create separate pages built specifically for mobile (with a different light weight mobile only theme) and use a plugin like ‘mobile smart’ to redirect to the correct page & theme depending on the users device.

fa_1976it
    Participant

I’m facing the same issue and the main problem is that Google mobile-bot can’t load/read all the resources when crawl the website. Because of this I get mobile usability error and can impact ranking.

The issue regarding font site too small and too close clickable object. This is what Google bot read as surfing with mobile the website is perfect.

This happen even using cloudflare as CDN. The website is super fast, les then 2 seconds to load in GTmetrix and Google speed for desktop. Actually is very fast also using with mobile, but is not what Google see.

Did you find any solution?

rgsl
    Participant

I am also hitting this issue, I’m getting severely downranked by GTMetrix.

Here’s my test result: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.rgsl.ca/eg3vnOy9

marklchaves
    Participant

Yes. Ditto.

For my portolio site (https://marklchaves.com), I just implemented PWA. It was fun, easy, and makes a difference for the visitor experience anyway. It’s also super sick to see your site as an app. Just waiting to see if Avada now will allow pages, not just assets, to be persisted (for DT and mobile) for the full offline PWA use case. I posted about this.

And, working on custom AMP pages which I may or may not implement. Just experimenting right now. Also shopping around for a CDN, which I’m not on yet (not so critical for my business, but want to kick the tires).

One thing that really helped my PageSpeed score was switching to WebP images. This cut down my page size by more than half and image quality didn’t suffer. Cray. Pretty stoked about that.

Can’t wait to read what others are doing to address this.

SCabral
    Participant

What has everyone else done about the large number of unused files (Js, CSS) that show up in scans for Pagespeed Insights, etc? Are you deleting them? Working on a customized child theme and stripping out these libraries that are just adding pointless bulk? Curious how that’s working out if so.

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @SCabral,

Here’s what I’ve done.

Step 1 Disable Fusion Builder Elements that You Don’t Need

https://theme-fusion.com/documentation/fusion-builder/settings-tools/fusion-builder-general-settings/

The above doesn’t always work for all elements. I noticed that sometimes just the elements are still loaded but hidden.

Step 2 Physically De-registering JS in functions.php

https://theme-fusion.com/forums/topic/unnecessary-js-files-load-even-when-fusion-elements-disabled/#post-648617

Lastly, if you are using Contact Form 7, here’s how I stop their JS from loading on all pages except for my contact page. I couldn’t get this to work for Themepunch’s Revolution Slider. So, I stopped using Rev Slider and deleted the plugin–glad I did.

Step 3 De-Register Contact Form 7 in functions.php

/**
     * Don't load Contact Form 7 plugins
     * if the page doesn't need them.
     */
    add_action( 'wp_print_scripts', 'my_deregister_javascript', 100 ); 
    function my_deregister_javascript() {
      if ( !is_page(1204) ) {
        wp_deregister_script( 'contact-form-7' );
        wp_dequeue_script( 'contact-form-7' );
        wp_deregister_script( 'avada-contact-form-7' );
        wp_dequeue_script( 'avada-contact-form-7' );
      }
    }

Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.