Home Forums Community Forum Mobile Site Performance is TERRIBLE (even with LOTS of optimizations)

Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey,
    I have just noticed that my mobile score on Google is way lower than the desktop one (55 vs 90).
    If I’m not mistaken, Google gives more weight to mobile scores. Therefore, this issue probably affects the search ranking on both mobile and desktop, in addition to poorer user experience.
    It would be great to get comments and recommendations from ThemeFusion’s pros about the discrepancy between mobile and desktop.
    Thanks.

Lgwebdesign
    Participant

Had the same issue, and few solutions where available.

B W
    Participant

The problem is, while Avada’s themes and tools are pretty good, it has become a BLOATED application. Rather than trying to keep plugging new things in, they should pause to do some optimizing.

There is WAYYYYyyyy too much junk loading on every page that is never needed. Tons of Javascripts, CSS, fonts, etc. Without hand coding the fixes, and hacking up the site so that you can NEVER get it updated, it is useless. At some point I may abandon Avada if it continues. But, for now the performance is barely tolerable.

======

As a painful example, at least 80% of the Javascript and CSS that is loaded on EVERY page is NEVER used in the entire site. For the few things that are, they are rarely used, on an occasional page. There is SO much that could be done to radically optimize the application but that would have to be the focus for at least 1 release. They seem to be more worried about adding new bells and whistles to bloat it even more.

Sam _WEB
    Participant

We are going through the same issue. Optimized our sites in all the possible ways. BUt their is a huge difference in desktop & mobile performance.

Its a request to theme fusion please do something and remove those unnecessary scripts from avada or tell us something about this issue.

marklchaves
    Participant
    Lgwebdesign
    Participant

Avada staff, this is important. I have a site which is getting really bad results because of this. Please try at least to do something.

B W
    Participant

Sadly you have to understand. BLOATING the application helps them *sell* more features. FIXING the performance issues is a customer satisfaction issue AFTER they already have the money so there is NO incentive to fix the MAJOR performance issues.

The only thing that would change this would be to start posting negative reviews about the performance all over the web and on forums. THAT would affect their sales and they MIGHT look at the performance then. Otherwise, like I said, they have our money and have NO incentive to really be that concerned about customer satisfaction, just new sales!

Lgwebdesign
    Participant

Well, to be honest I don’t have big problems doing that, considering that is also the truth. I can put reviews in many places, it wouldn’t take me much time. I’m also a seo. You got the point, probably.

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

Gentlemen,

In Avada’s defense, please allow me to say that obtaining a high mobile Page Score IS NOT as important as reducing your Page Loading Time.

This article explains things further: https://wp-rocket.me/blog/the-truth-about-google-pagespeed-insights/

To make your website mobile-fast, follow these useful tips:

(1) Ensure your website is mobile-friendly and is mobile-fast (Tools: https://search.google.com/test/mobile-friendly and https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/)

(2) Ensure your website loads fast. We implemented the website modifications shared by @marklchavez and other websites, and they helped reduce dramatically our page loading speeds. Key tools or modifications that helped our website dramatically:

– Use a CDN

– Optimize your images

– Use SG Optimizer and WP Rocket (plugins). Both plugins can be used simultaneously. A great, free plugin out there that you may want to consider (in lieu of WP Rocket) is Fast Velocity Minify. The plugin developer provides near instant support and its free!

– Disable or block unused Avada elements as @marklchaves explained. In addition, a great plugin you can use to supplement his recommendations or accomplish the same is Perfmatters (worth every penny).

– If you’re using a shared server hosting plan, consider switching to a dedicated server plan. If your website truly generates revenue, then switching over (additional cost) should be worth every penny.

– Use Varvy to identify and correct website issues. Great tool! (https://varvy.com)

– Spend some money and hire a developer/coder to tweak your website. Many great sources out there. Here’s one: https://codeable.io

If you follow and implement the above tips, your website will be much faster and your SEO ranking will improve. We did. Worked for us!

By the way, I’m not affiliated with Theme Fusion.

Cheers!

B W
    Participant

Thank you for your thoughts. I have used wp-supercache, autoptomize, short pixel (for images), etc., etc., etc.

As for reducing elements, I have done that as well some time ago.

I’ve also incorporated the Snippets plugin and MANUALLY coded several performance fixes, AND I have been working with .htaccess and optimizing Apache systems for years.

While I appreciate your feedback, hiring a developer to manually code a bunch of fixes is a disaster! It is likely to break updates, have to be manually ported and possibly refactored each time, and then there are no guarantees that future updates don’t make that investment worthless (not to mention the ongoing coder support).

You mention the idea that mobile page load speed is so important but dismiss the score. The score is DIRECTLY related to the load speed. Worse still, the speed and dependencies are HORRIBLE because of the amount of bloat that is loaded for mobile sites. Yes, I am on a shared host but most of the time my TTFB (time to fist byte) and my ACTUAL object / element load times are good. It is a bloated Javascript, CSS, and all of the embedded garbage from bloat. Worse still, if you use an element on just one page, you are stuck with it on all pages! Not only that, if you expect you will use some of those elements in the future, and then disable them, it is LIKELY you will forget that when you go to make use of them and then they appear not to work!

While I appreciate the feedback the Avada theme has become bloated to the point that there are SERIOUS performance issues. It is no longer an issue of optimize this, that, or the other thing. With mobile becoming more and more prevalent, as well as a critical SEO related factor, this is not excusable and needs to be addressed.

Anyway, that is my opinion. I am writing virtually EVERY review site and asking them why they don’t speed test the demo themes from the various theme builders. Not some shell, but the actual demo themes. If the reviewers start doing that maybe the theme vendors would pay more attention to one of the most critical SEO scoring and usability factors of web sites – load times!

matdriks
    Participant

I can confirm. theme fusion is slow.
    Tip minimize functions and plugins.
    Too bad the idea is to use plugins and nice built-in from this theme.

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

@bill.wood@r3now.com,

Respectfully, my research reveals that mobile page score is not directly related to overall page speed.

Substantiation: Our website is also showing a low mobile score, a high desktop score. but also a fast-loading website (average of 2 seconds or less) using webpagetest.org.

In short, all I’m saying is that it’s best to exhaust all website optimization techniques before blaming Avada. If you have implemented ALL of the suggestions given above, I can’t see any reason why your website won’t run faster in a mobile environment.

Having said the above, I’m confident Theme Fusion (Avada) is continuously looking at their codes/software for performance improvements as they add new features.

Peace!

B W
    Participant

No worries and that’s awesome for you! I tried my site with an IOS device option and it was slower than Pagespeed. Second for me anyway, Pagespeed is set up by Google and I am inclined to use their metrics if I want decent search placing on Google. I can appreciate maybe that is not as important for you, but it is for me. Best wishes on your site, none of this fixes the bloat issues I am dealing with for mobile.

kdando
    Participant

We’ve already tried almost every suggestion mentioned, including paying a developer at https://codable.io. We saw minimal improvements. I’m really disappointed with Avada in this regard. Continuing to bloat the theme without addressing resulting performance issues sends the wrong message. Step up Avada.

If anybody has any additional suggestions, I’m all ears.

https://southernbailbonds.com

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @kdando,

I checked out your site. Thanks for posting. Pretty respectable PageSpeed scores. And great job reducing your server requests. Congrats.

Here’s what I observed for what it’s worth.

1. Looks like you are using a third-party plugin for lazy loading? Why not use the Avada Theme Options built-in lazy loading? Or, your hosting’s caching lazy load. Try to avoid an extra plugin for this unless it’s for a good reason of course.

2. Yslow said your not using a CDN. This isn’t always accurate e.g. CloudFlare doesn’t mangle URLs. But, if you aren’t, I would consider a paid CDN plan to boost your performance. The free CloudFlare doesn’t significantly improve performance from my experience.

3. Why not try next gen image formats namely WebP. PageSpeed said your images are optimised. But, you can get your page size under 1 MB (probably closer to 500 KB) if you use WebP.

4. I see you are using Contact Form 7. You might want to read my write-up on that. I don’t recommend CF7 because it loads its JS libraries on every page even if you have only one form on one page. What a waste.

5. I didn’t see any service workers. Again, I recommend checking out PWA for its aggressive browser caching. It’s another plugin for sure. But, it’s bundled with Avada and it’s worth it IMHO.

6. Not performance related, but RWD. Your homepage hero is optimised nicely for mobile. But, the laptop version cuts-off the portrait of the general manager. Here’s a screen grab https://imgur.com/a/gQhPpTn

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long reply 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.