Home Forums Community Forum Mobile Site Performance is TERRIBLE (even with LOTS of optimizations)

Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Overall the Avada theme is good and I have the desktop version optimized well enough. However, the Mobile site version has serious performance problems. On top of that, the Google scoring is HORRIBLE!

I have
    – optimized performance with caching
    – use updated, minified JQery
    – using conditional “is_page” preloading for resources BY PAGE
    – radically reduced image sizes
    – radically reduced page sizes
    – Cut out images on some pages for mobile.

Etc., etc., etc.

While the site is great and the content delivery is good, a slow page on a mobile device is DEATH for any website. And mobile traffic continues to increase everywhere.

WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

acmel
    Participant

Hey Bill,

have tried adding CDN (content delivery network) to your website? You can get either get it with your hosting (paying) or with cloudflare (free).

How did you optimize your caching and your other mentioned elements? There is a nice plugin called “W3 Total” that does pretty some of the things that you describe and additionally others more.

Bye!

Lgwebdesign
    Participant

I can confirm what bill wood said. I also tried w3 total cache but without big benefits

MyBusiness
    Participant

Can we have a url?

Lgwebdesign
    Participant

try http://www.amcimpianti.it.

– optimized images
    – cached website

Score on mobile is 33/100, desktop 79/100

B W
    Participant

https://www.iitrun.com

Also, while the hosting provider is certainly a small part of the problem, performance is generally good for the non-mobile version of the site. Once it is cached, even from a clean browser loads are around 2-2.5 seconds. I’m satisfied with that. It is the mobile site that is killing me.

Is there a way to isolate and load the latest Google JQuery Mobile? That may help quite a bit? At least it is something to try but I don’t know how to selectively unregister the regular JQuery on mobile only so I can register the mobile version. It is very likely that a user would have the JQuery Mobile version on their phone and would help a lot.

JQuery Mobile…

<link rel=”stylesheet” href=”https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquerymobile/1.4.5/jquery.mobile.min.css”&gt;
    <script src=”https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquerymobile/1.4.5/jquery.mobile.min.js”></script&gt;

=======================

Almost forgot, I am using WP Super Cache AND I know about how to optimize the htaccess file (I’ve been doing WP and htaccess optimization for years). Is there a document you have about the Avada mobile architecture or some key PHP files you can refer me to for the responsive processing? I don’t have the time to chase them down.

bigpicturecommunication
    Participant

100% agree – no optimization seems to make it even ‘passable’ on mobile.
    Please Theme Fusion…help figure this out!!

B W
    Participant

Any thoughts or update on this? Mobile site performance is really bad even on an optimized site.

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @bill-woodr3now-com,

Just curious, what is your definition of

Google scoring is HORRIBLE

Can you share your PageSpeed Insights, Webpage Test, GTmetrix, or even Pingdom? It would also be great to know all the performance tuning steps you’ve taken. Otherwise, offering suggestions that you’ve already done like converting your images to WebP or forcing Google Fonts to load last or using media queries to ensure loading of appropriate image sizes based on screen size or configuring your webserver to support browser caching or auditing your plugins etc., could be a waste of your precious time. Then, there are all the more hardware specific options: upgrading your DNS service to do faster lookups or upgrading your CDN or upgrading your RAM or getting off a shared server, etc.

To address the increasingly bloated web phenomenon, I’ve implemented PWA and just created my first AMP for my own Avada site. I’m also looking at static generator options. Just thought I’d throw these out there if you haven’t tried these yet.

thanks!

B W
    Participant

Thank you Mark. I put a list of optimizations I did in the beginning, and I’ve also done a number of .htaccess optimizations. On the Desktop version of the site performance is reasonable. Not stellar but acceptable. I have full page processing in about 2-2.5 seconds. Overall the Desktop site is great. For the mobile it is a different story.

MOBILE Site Information (OPTIMIZED, the UNoptimized score was 24!)

Mobile score

Mobile time

Mobile Work

Here is the SAME site, in the SAME evaluation session for the Desktop version

Desktop score

Desktop time

Desktop Work

Limited list of Optimizations:

– optimized performance with caching
    – use updated, minified JQuery
    – CDN based Google hosted JQuery that is a MUCH more optimized version than the WP / Avada version AND smaller size (and since it is Google hosted it is MUCH more likely to be in a user’s browser cache)
    – using conditional “is_page” preloading for resources BY PAGE of images and fonts
    – radically reduced image sizes with multiple tools
    – radically reduced page sizes
    – Cut out images on some pages for mobile
    – .htaccess optimizations including compressed output processing, far future expires headers, etc.

I could go on for some time. I have done WP optimization for many, many years and am very comfortable with it. While I *like* the Avada theme, the mobile version needs serious work.

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @bill-woodr3now-com,

I apologise I missed your earlier details. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Dude, your site is running twice as fast as https://avada.theme-fusion.com/galerie/ on mobile. Congrats!

https://imgur.com/kxYHTTJ

Well, you are definitely no stranger to the bloated web. I guess I can go into the minutia of what you haven’t done yet. But, I don’t think this is the best forum for this kind of a deeper dive.

But, I will suggest trying the PWA plugin that comes bundled with Avada. For alternatives outside of the WordPress universe, I would look at PWAs and AMP in general. And, for sure get your hands dirty with static site generators like Jekyll or Gatsby for starters (back to the future??).

If you want to share notes ‘offline’, hit me up at mark [at] marklchaves [dot] com.

B W
    Participant

Thanks Mark.

I’ve had PWA active and looked at AMP. My problem is maintaining the site (writing content), running my business, a full time job, and family, doesn’t leave the time for a full time job re-coding or chasing down problems with the Avada mobile problems.

I’ve offered them several suggestions that would make things much better but no takers.

I bought their theme because it was so highly rated and recommended. I spent at least 100 hours already optimizing without manually starting to re-code parts of the theme that I would then have to maintain forever. As for minor tweaks I’m not sure I would get much from that so haven’t pursued it.

But, appreciate the thoughts.

B W
    Participant

Dear Theme Fusion, can you provide some pointers, or a document with tips and tricks for fixing the horrible Mobile Site performance? As you can see above, I have done most, or all, of the optimizations for chasing and minifying you suggest in other places.

FIX THE MOBILE SITE!

marklchaves
    Participant

Just sharing this. I found it useful. Nice step by step details.

https://themeskills.com/speed-up-avada-wordpress-theme/

B W
    Participant

Thank you Mark, and that site is useful. I had already done as much of that optimization as I could. The optimization results of this, and lots of other things I did show on the Desktop site, it is the Mobile site integration of Avada that is a mess.

Before I started ANY optimization, the desktop site was scoring a 44 and the mobile a 24. With MASSIVE optimizations I could only get the scores I displayed above.

I really wish the Avada folks would take the mobile optimization a little more seriously.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.