ThemeFusion Does Not Provide Support Here. This Community Forum Is For User To User Interactions Only. For ThemeFusion Support Please Fill Out A New Ticket Here.

How To Update Your Theme

Home Forums Closed: Avada Support Archive How To Update Your Theme

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jadoon88 2 years, 8 months ago.

In Progress
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I've had a lot of trouble updating Avada. I followed the instructions to update via FTP, extracting the Avada.zip file, backed up my Avada folder, then deleted it, and copied over the new folder. WordPress had a message saying active theme broken, so going back to default theme when I deleted Avada, as instructed here http://theme-fusion.com/knowledgebase/how-to-update-your-theme/. The problem is when I activated the new Avada my website was all over the place, no menu. sidebars gone, sliders blank etc… I tried to replace the updated Avada with the backup i made to my computer, but it didn't help.

I then reverted back to the default theme, uploaded Avada.zip via wordpress, but while the site now has the menu back, it doesn't have the sidebars, and a good few other options have changed too. What did I do wrong, as, as far as I know I followed the instructions exactly. Is there anyway I can now get back my site options? My last backup in theme options was August so that's probably no good.

nickdundee

I've found out why the sidebars aren't showing. I had 4 custom sidebars made up, but for some reason the update got rid of everything in each of them, and placed the widgets in an inactive sidebar instead. My whole theme is changed, size of text, search box replaced by breadcrumbs etc… I'd really like to solve what went wrong so I can update with confidence in future. Am I supposed to delete the Avade theme in my FPT before copying over the new one, same with WordPress install, the instructions say delete theme and data won't be lost. If I delete the theme folder in FPT where is all my options stored?

nickdundee

Apart from all my options changing, I can't get my sliders working. They are just showing blank. When I go into the slider settings they seem fine, I can watch the preview, and its fine, but even though the slider is selected in the page, or sidebar I want it in, nothing shows up.

nickdundee

I've discovered the problem that stopped the sliders from working, when i disabled W3 Total Cache they started working again, but stopped when I activated again. Any idea why this may be?

Abbas

Hey @nickdundee,

Please try our custom settings for w3tc. You can import these via the import/export option in W3tc settings page in your WP Dashboard.  Our recommended settings for it can be download for it from this page -> http://theme-fusion.com/knowledgebase/how-to-speed-up-your-site-with-w3tc-plugin/

For the other issues, Perhaps this is a cache issue for you? Please clear your browser cache. Open your site in the browser and then press ctrl+F5 or command+F5 to hard refresh.

if the issues still persists, please provide us with your WordPress Login and site URL (in a reply marked as PRIVATE).

Thank you for choosing Avada!

nickdundee

I had imported the Avada recommended settings for W3TC before, and it was working fine, yet when I did it again now, its working again. Why would updating Avada mess up the settings i had already in the plugin?

My other issues weren't  cache issue. I deleted  browser cache and it was the same. In Word Press itself the Avada update wiped loads of my data. I had 4 custom sidebars made up. The update removed all the widgets from each of them. I would like to update Avada in the future, but currently wouldn't attempt it after what happened this time. It took me hours yesterday trying to get my site back the way I had it before. Surely updating shouldn't change all my options like that, including plugin settings?

The instructions for updating Avada seem a little vague, do we need to delete the current Avada folder before copying the new one across via Ftp?  If so where is all out settings saved? I even backed up my current Avada folder but when I tried to replace the update with the backed up folder, my old settings still didn't come back.

I'd appreciate a dummies guide to safe updating.

My site is now back near what it was, but I'm still having trouble with both hupso share buttons and the author last updated line, appearing beneath each extract from my blog on the homepage. It makes it look very messy, it wasn't there before I updated Avada, so I didn't change any settings in either the Hupso Share Plugin or Author Sure plugin, and I can't find a setting in either to not show up under the extracts. I've attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Abbas

Hey @nickdundee,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I've forwarded your concern to our developers about the update instructions clarity.

For future reference, before updating your theme or making any major changes,  Please make an entire cpanel backup of your site, that'll create a snapshot of your site which you can ask your web host to make you fall back to, if anything goes wrong. If you don't know how to make cpanel backups, ask your web host support for this.

For the author/hupso share plugin issues, those are 3rd party plugins and falls outside of our specialty areas, however if you link us to your page and specify which of those lines you want hidden, we can help with the custom css to help you hide those. Otherwise please refer to the documentation of those plugins on how to control what content/text they display.

Thank you for choosing Avada!

nickdundee

Thanks for the advice. Regarding the Hupso/Author plugins, basically before I updated Avada, my homepage just showed the recent posts extract, plus the thumbnail of the featured image. This is what I wanted. After I updated, suddenly my author sure last updated by info, is appearing under each recent post, as well as the hupso share button for each post. It makes the whole think look messy, and I don't know how to get rid of it as I never changed any setting in the plugins, the only thing that changed was the Avada update. Below is the relevant code I have to show the posts. The link to the page is http://www.learnbetwin.com/ Any help apreciated.

[title size="2″]Latest From The Blog[/title] [recent_posts columns="4″ number_posts="4″ cat_id="" thumbnail="yes" title="yes" meta="yes" excerpt="yes" excerpt_words="30″][/recent_posts]

jadoon88
    Blocked

I am sorry we do not provide support for the plugins not officially supported by Avada. I have never used this plugin personally or I would have definitely given you some advice. Please contact the plugin author for further support.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
This thread is closed and only here for archive reading. There is a community forum for user to user interaction. ThemeFusion does not provide support here. If you need support from ThemeFusion, open a ticket using our new ticket system.