Avada Forums Community Forum How to change the Read More excerpt text to something else

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve tried this :

add_filter( ‘avada_blog_read_more_excerpt’, ‘my_read_more_symbol’ );
    function my_read_more_symbol( $read_more ) {
    $read_more = “Read more”;

return $read_more;
    }

Doesn’t work…

creativonato
    Participant

me too. Anyone have a solution???

islandjoe1
    Participant

Did not work for me either

Michael C
    Keymaster

All of you have active support, so if desired you can create a support ticket – https://theme-fusion.com/support/submit-a-ticket/

For the question, it depends on the set-up which you have. The code you posted is indeed correct if you are referring to the [..] text, latest theme version and blog element.

mommaroodles
    Participant

I know this is an old post, but I’d like to open this again and I may be able to provide a solution for someone who, like me wanted a button instead of a link in the exerpts instead of “Read More” link.

First of all this bit of code does work but also not

add_filter( ‘avada_blog_read_more_excerpt’, ‘my_read_more_symbol’ );
    function my_read_more_symbol( $read_more ) {
    $read_more = “Read more”; //this line here needs to be link not just text!

return $read_more;
    }

what I did with mine is I wanted my button to have the default styling as the rest of my buttons so I changed modified mine to this.

// read more function on blog page
    add_filter( 'avada_blog_read_more_excerpt', 'read_more_text' );
    function read_more_text( $read_more ) {
        global $posts;
        $anchor_text = '<span class="fusion-button button-default button-small alignright">Read More &raquo; &raquo;</span>';
        $read_more = '<p><a href="'. esc_url( get_permalink() ) . '">' . $anchor_text . '</a></p>';
        return $read_more;
    }

Now this works for me and you can see it on this page https://webwolfhosting.com/blog/

however, I have now setup a subdomain multi-site to address another area of my web site which is dedicated to documentation but the button is now not working on the sub site. So something needs to change and I’m not sure what.

I have a seperate plugin for custom functions and I have tried putting the snippet of code in my child themes functions file but that too doesnt work. Doesnt anyone perhaps know how I can fix this?

shsomers
    Participant

Will the code described by mommaroodles (see below) work on a portfolio element? Where do I place the code if I want the READ MORE button to appear at the end of each portfolio item?

// read more function on blog page
    add_filter( ‘avada_blog_read_more_excerpt’, ‘read_more_text’ );
    function read_more_text( $read_more ) {
    global $posts;
    $anchor_text = ‘<span class=”fusion-button button-default button-small alignright”>Read More » »</span>’;
    $read_more = ‘<p>‘ . $anchor_text . ‘</p>’;
    return $read_more;
    }

marklchaves
    Participant

I just posted a working solution for Avada 5.9.1. Don’t know if things changed for 6.1. I’ll post an update when I upgrade.

TL:DNR use the filter “avada_blog_read_more_link” instead of “avada_blog_read_more_excerpt”. You can verify which filter is correct if you want to by looking in the blog layout PHP file in the Avada templates directory.

Here’s the post with my working solution.

https://theme-fusion.com/forums/topic/change-text-read-more-in-blog-layout/#post-661607

Share & enjoy!

Ammar. S
    Keymaster

Hello Everyone.

With our newly released version 6.1.1 we now have an option for this already, you can read all about how you can enable this in our documentation here => https://theme-fusion.com/documentation/avada/how-to/how-to-customze-the-read-more-symbol-on-excerpts/

Thanks

-Ammar

marklchaves
    Participant

Just read the docs, Ammar. Freaking awesome.

Thanks!

Rhagrim
    Participant

Hi!

I tried this and also the “Display Read more Symbol” option in miscellaneous, but the read more button/link doesn’t show up if you use the WordPress “excerpt” function which lets you write the sites/posts excerpt manually…
    Any ideas?

staffcom
    Participant

Hi Rhagrim,

Did you ever find an answer? I also need the “Read more” links to show up for custom excerpts.

Thanks.

Ammar. S
    Keymaster

Hello @Staffcom

Please know that you have a Grandfathered Support with our team and should be able to open a support ticket without any issue, please do that and our team will further assist you with any issues you have.

Click Here To Create An Account & Get Avada Support

Thanks

-Ammar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.