Avada Forums Community Forum Google Analytics Conversions with Avada Forms

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We are using the Avada forms on a website for a client. Does anyone have information on how to track these forms as conversions within Google Analytics?

I see some information related to buttons, but those will not work on forms and there is not good documentation on the forms for this site.

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi,

The first hurdle I think you’ll run into is that you can’t assign a unique HTML ID to an Avada form. Just like most of the other Avada elements, you’ll see there’s a setting for the ID, but the Avada builder will assign that ID to the parent div (that doesn’t help).

You can confirm this yourself. When you do, you can try writing custom JavaScript to force the Avada forms to have unique IDs (as a workaround). Here’s an example that I’ve got running on my Avada dev site.

https://codepen.io/marklchaves/pen/LYRxoLj

Once you get over that first hurdle, you can choose to use a (premium) plugin, use Google Tag Manager (GTM), or write your own code to track form conversions.

I’ll leave the plugin shopping and learning GTM to you.

If you (or your web dev) have experience working with Google Analytics 4 (GA4) and the gtag.js API, I can give you pointers. Just let me know.

Here’s an example of JavaScript code that sends form impressions for GA4.

https://gist.github.com/marklchaves/c46572f62b3c9624aef2f037e5869bad

I wrote this code to prep for a GA4 writing gig I’m doing.

For form conversions, you’ll need to set up event listeners to trigger a gtag.js call for every *successful* form submission.

Shout if you have any questions.

johnlunceford
    Participant

Maybe look at GravityForms. They provide documentation and support. I use it with a ad-on plugin called event tracking for gravity forms.

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @josiahmountaintopwebdesign-com,

I actually found an example of sending a conversion event for a button click and form conversion that I did for a client a few months back. I’ve done too many implementations that I can’t even keep track lol.

Here’s the code.

https://codepen.io/marklchaves/pen/yLgwWbZ?editors=1111

The first example is a button click.

In the form below (hard to see) there’s a button to submit the form. That will send a conversion too. You’ll see where I needed to use a data attribute to get an ID because my client’s forms didn’t have IDs either.

Open the console to see the simulated results.

Shout if you have questions.

bsahey
    Participant

First of all, Mark, love all your work and advices!

Just curious, in your example, are you doing it by JS intentionally for educational purposes, or is there a big advantage to using JS over GTM to implement the form conversion? I almost always use GTM for that for clients.

Thanks

marklchaves
    Participant

Hi @bsahey,

Thanks so much for asking.

IMHO, the main advantage for me is not having to load GTM or any container code. If I can write inline code to remove a library dependency, then why not? I’m a developer, so I’d rather code anyway (shameless bias). That brings me to the next point.

I prefer to write code over having to use a UI. I’ve done enough GTM code for clients and while supporting GA plugins to know I actually don’t like using GTM. I’m not saying GTM is bad. It’s just not my cuppa tea. In general, I find most UIs clunky.

BTW, I’ve written custom code for GTM too. So, you still have to write code even though GTM is billed as a “developer-free” solution.

It boils down to a matter of preference 😉

Cheers!

P.S. I also find that GA4 is closing the gap between GA and GTM.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.