Home Forums Community Forum Fusion Slider Should Load First

Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve bought Avada 8 times and I know my support time has concluded. I am really displeased with fusion slider because it is the last image that loads on the page.

Of 243 request in the waterfall, this is the 3 from the bottom!

(anonymous) @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:5
    Y @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    n.fn.(anonymous function) @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:5
    (anonymous) @ avada-fusion-slider.js?ver=1:1
    each @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2
    (anonymous) @ avada-fusion-slider.js?ver=1:1
    dispatch @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    r.handle @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    load (async)        
    add @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    (anonymous) @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    sa @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    on @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:3
    (anonymous) @ bundle.js?1549647974720:1
    (anonymous) @ bundle.js?1549647974720:1

First appearance of the Fusion Slider JPG is at 9 seconds! With Async JavaScript I drops to 3.5s but still loads 3rd from the bottom. It should load first.

Thank you.

argoskier
    Participant

Is there any solution to this painfully slow loading slider?? Anyone know how to speed it up?

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant
    mark
    Participant

@jetxpert-envato,

Thanks for those links. The first one is very helpful. Though, just not sure if any solution mentioned will help get a slider image to load at the top of the waterfall. If anyone knows how to do that, I’m all ears. Please share!

Just a FYI for what it’s worth, the two big ticket items that dramatically improved my site’s performance and consequently my Google PageSpeed Insight’s score were:

1. Using my hosting provider’s server cache options (including memcache).
    2. Switching my image format to WebP.

Of course Google’s PageSpeed tool is going to love you using WebP since WebP is Google’s invention. 😉

A third thing (not as easy to prove quantifiably as the two above) I recently implemented was the PWA plugin that’s bundled with Avada. I feel that this plugin is a modest wallflower hiding in the shadows. Meaning, not well know yet and not well promoted?? Maybe that’s just me. Read up on PWA and give it try.

Now, if we can just get Avada to reduce the number of round-trip requests. 😉

gabi2
    Participant

Hi Mark,

I followed up your advice by installing the PWA plugin but ever since I have done that I get people who look at these files. (according to Wordfence) Is this something to worry about?

https://www.mywebsite.com/?wp_service_worker=1

https://www.mywebsite.com/?wp_error_template=offline&__WB_REVISION__=0.2.0%3BAvada%3D5.9.1%3Buser%3D0%…

https://www.mywebsite.com/?wp_error_template=500&__WB_REVISION__=0.2.0%3BAvada%3D5.9.1%3Buser%3D0%3Bop…

Thanks in advance

mgsm26
    Participant

Is nobody there, who has an idea, how to load the fusion slider earlier in the waterfall?

mark
    Participant

Hi @gabi2,

Cool! How are you liking it so far? Any performance differences?

Hmmm, I have not seen any security concerns regarding PWAs. But, I’m a newbie and probably not the best person to ask.

I think in general, I would treat these files like any other file that is public. Make sure there is no sensitive data inside them. If you follow the PWA guidelines, these files should not have any sensitive info by default, right? E.g. the service worker is a client-side proxy. Since it’s client-side, it better not have any juicy stuff for sure. And, it’s just supposed to figure out what to cache and where to route requests (to the server or the cache).

Going back on treating these files like any other public file, it would be good to know if there are any patterns when they are accessed & their source/origin. Maybe see if their IPs are blacklisted anywhere or ask your hosting provider about them??

Hope this helps. 🙂

mark
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I wrote & posted a detailed solution. But, I needed to revise it for some HTML fixes. When I submitted the revision, the post disappeared.

So, I re-posted my solution up one of my WordPress.com sites that I use as a sandbox. Here’s the link.

https://marklchaves.wordpress.com/2019/06/16/answer-to-fusion-slider-should-load-first/

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

@mark,

Thank you for all the work you put into this. Questions:

(1) Does your solution (preloading) reduce the pages’ loading time? If yes, how did you confirm this? (webpagetest, pingdom, gtmetrix, etc.)

(2) Does your solution (preloading) get rid of the spinning wheel when the fusion slider is loading?

Again, thank you!

mark
    Participant

Hi @jetxpert-envato,

Thanks for the follow-up. I wanted to address the original question of moving the slider up in the waterfall. Anything else imho is out of scope. I’m not trying to punt. I just wanted to answer the question, so I didn’t do a performance benchmark on when I ran my tests. I only looked to see if my slider image moved up in the waterfall, which it did.

Now, when it comes to performance, every page, server config, WordPress env, and network will be different. I encourage anyone who is tweaking their site for performance to always perform standard benchmarks on at least 2-3 different test platforms e.g. Google PageSpeed Insights, WebPageTest, GTmetrix, and Pingdom (as you mention above).

Lastly, getting rid of the loading animation is a bit of a different topic for me (perceived load). I had one only client complain about out it so far. I suggested to this client that I go into the code to remove the animation or replace the slider with a static background image if that was their main concern. I also reminded them they were getting an A rating all performance tests including Google. They never got back to me. I’ll let you know how I remove the animation when I cross that bridge (if ever). BTW, if speed is the highest priority for you or your clients, I would be looking at WordPress alternatives like static generators at this point.

I appreciate your comments and you taking the time to bounce ideas around.

enjoy!

gabi2
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply, your explanation was very helpful!

Gabrielle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.