Home Forums Community Forum AVADA’s Huge Performance Problem

Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

Until Theme-Fusion makes Avada lighter and more efficient, you can solve up to 75% of your speed issues by following the steps provided below. You may have to spend a bit of money (not much), but well worth it.

Steps:

(1) Compress your custom CSS code using csscompressor.com
    (Compression Level: Highest; Optimize Shorthands: Yes, All)

(2) Compress and convert your images to WebP format using cloudconvert.com
    (All browsers now support WebP, including Safari 14+)

(3) Dequeue unused website assets (JS and CSS files) using the plugin, Perfmatters
    (Plugin is easy to use and offers additional speed-enhancing features such as link preload. USD 25.00/year but a lot cheaper with site or web discounts. Excellent support)

(4) Boost your site’s speed using the plugin, WP Rocket
    (WP Rocket Version 3.7.2 incorporates some amazing speed-enhancing tools. USD 49.00/year but a lot cheaper with site or web discounts. Excellent support)

(5) Boost your site’s speed using the CDN, Cloudflare
    (Purchase the Pro Plan. USD 20.00/month but a lot cheaper if you purchase it through SiteGround. Excellent support)

We have tried most free caching plugins and other manual techniques for dequeue-ing files. We have learned they are nowhere as good as those given above. In case you’re wondering, we’re not affiliated in any way with the above plugin sites.

Let me know if the above worked for you. If necessary, will be glad to help you with any related plugin or CDN issues you may have.

Cheers!

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

Useful Info:

Not sure how many of you know this, but just learned that the mobile website speed test results provided by PageSpeed Insights and Lighthouse are based on an Emulated Moto G4 mobile device. When performed for an Emulated Moto G6, iPhone, iPad, or Alcatel mobile device (via webpagetest.org), the results are much better if not excellent.

Bottom line, try not to worry too much about a high score and high speed. I would focus more on high (or optimum) speed based on your website’s content and features. Remember, the more features your website has, the slower it’s going to be.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers!

dorys
    Participant

@jetexpert – Thank you for your workflow. I see this as an great alternative for those that create and maintain sites for their clients or maintain their own sites. However, for those of us that create a site for a client and then hand over the keys, this is not a good solution.

• Converting jpgs or pngs to webd files – I can’t get most of them to even compress their files. they send me 20Mb+ file sizes
    • Compressing CSS – how many different CSS files are in Avada? Where are these CSS files stored, in a child theme? What happens when the theme files are updated? Do we have to compress the files again?
    • Same with Dequeue unused website assets – have to be done again with updates?

I see this solution as a temporary fix but the real fix needs to come from the developers of the Avada theme.

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

Hi @dorys,

Thanks for the feedback. In response:

(1) Converting images to WebP format: If you’re having a hard time converting the images, then use a CDN with conversion capabilities such as Cloudflare. It does a great job converting them. Also, tinypng.com is a great image compression tool.

(2) Compressing CSS: I was referring to all custom CSS added to the website, not Avada’s native CSS. On average, you can expect csscompressor.com to compress your custom CSS by at least 25-50%. No, you will not have to re-compress your custom CSS every time Avada is updated. Avada leaves it untouched.

(3) Dequeueing JS and CSS Assets with Perfmatters: No, will will not have to dequeue your assets again after Avada is updated. Perfmatters saves the data independently of Avada updates. It’s a great plugin and support is excellent.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

maverkamp
    Participant

I agree. I have multiple sites with Avada. The load times are very slow in general. The amount of requests and extra items loaded are unbelievable!

merrydown
    Participant

Hi all.

I have been using Avada for years, I have spent a lot of money on it too and I’m sorry to say guys, but I have to admit, I agree about the bloat problem.

The bloat can be massively mitigated with various compression tools – but so can every Theme. Avada appears to start off way more bloated than most, so with diligent work to compress and cache it, you can never overtake others doing the same work to compress theirs.

I have lost 3 clients this year, all to SEO agencies who convinced my clients that the website could not be made fast enough without remaking it in another theme. I didn’t get a chance to quote on that work, they were just gone, boom!

I work alongside another SEO agency and again, they try not to take on clients with websites made with Avada because it can’t go as fast as those made on some other Frameworks.

On broadband, the difference in load speed between Avada and others of similar content is not that noticeable to humans, but is seems to be to speed checking sites and in my experience, even 3% speed is enough to prove a point.

There is no way to argue that Avada is not bloated as it stands. I have tried and been gunned down by SEO people. I TOTALLY accept that it is bloated because it is so full of features, but there’s not much else it needs to be able to do at this point, except for the code to be made more modular, faster.

I think we are getting to the point where there needs to be an option to parse and republish entire websites to avoid using unnecessary cached code and to publish in a cachable form as efficiently as possible.

I am not one to complain, but I am tired enough of arguing with people about Avada that I may have to switch to a simpler Framework next year – with all the hassle that brings.

Fingers-crossed, more can be done to speed up Avada websites.

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

@merrydown,

Great comments. Hey, did you check our website and the shared tips I posted above? Did they help you?

Yes, Avada can be slow, but have learned that — with the right tools and techniques — it can be made a lot faster. At least until Theme-Fusion incorporates a slimmer code.

As I understand, Theme-Fusion is already working on a slimmer code, etc. It will be released in stages. As you can imagine, with over 600,000 websites under their responsibility, a phased approach is the only way to make sure issues are kept down to a minimum level. This, of course, will also take some time — especially during the pandemic.

As you know, patience is key.

Thank you. Be safe.

Cheers!

supton
    Participant

@jetxpert-envato just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions on this thread. I’ve been working on a massive project for the past 18 months, using Gravity Forms & Nested Forms to re-create a huge memorial site. This past three weeks the slow down on this page was terrible: https://new.kresy-siberia.org/wall-of-tribute/ and was linked to us adding all the photo galleries on this page: https://new.kresy-siberia.org/hall-of-images/. They both use Gravity Forms/Gravity View/Gravity Wiz Nested Forms.

I have only implemented one of your suggestions so far: purchasing and installing WP Rocket. It has made a massive difference, and improves performance to a level I really didn’t expect to achieve with so little effort. Just goes to show the difference between a free optimising plugin and a paid version and the old adage is very true – you get what you pay for!!

I’ll be following your other suggestions to improve further – many thanks 🙂

Shelley

Jetxpert-Envato
    Participant

@supton,

You’re welcome 🙂 Great project, by the way. Perhaps some day we’ll visit your museum.

We checked your development website and it loads pretty fast at our end (we are located in Texas, USA). Looks great too. We are certain it will run faster when it goes live. My top-level suggestions for your development website:

(1) Flash of Unstyled Content (FOUC): Your website displays with FOUC. If you’re using WP Rocket, make sure the Option “Optimize CSS Delivery” is turned off — or — follow WP Rocket’s instructions to eliminate the issue. If you’re not using this WP Rocket option, make sure other similar plugins’ CSS settings are adjusted. Also, make sure Avada’s “Load Stylesheets In Footer” is turned off.

(2) Images: Images are taking a while to load. Perhaps because you have so many. Verify they are compressed as much as possible (use tinypng.com, for example) and deliver them with a CDN. For us, Cloudflare works great. The Pro plan offer a few added benefits, including speed. Worth the money as well.

(3) Gravity Forms: On pages where you use Gravity Forms (GF), be aware that you can cache the entire page containing a form with no worries as long as you use the snippet provided below. The snippet – provided by Gravity Wiz – allows you to cache the entire page while bypassing the form itself. Useful if you’re using GF for logins, newsletter subscriptions, etc.

add_filter( 'gfcb_enable_cache_buster', '__return_true' );

You can add the above filter in your functions.php file or via the plugin, Code Snippets.

Best to you!

marcwales
    Participant

Both Maximus and Michael are just trying to calm down a forum that is getting more and more attention and getting indexed by google 😉 Not good for business haha.

If you want to see that the problem is core related to the theme coding just click on this article : https://www.mitostudios.com/blog/avada-speed-performance-fine-tuning-and-analysis/

This guy has tested both with and without all the features / options / fusion builder and compared them on a simple chart. After disabling everything except a text-block, there was absolutely no difference in performance. ZERO deqeuing of css code, 20 JS files still loading even if turned off in the admin.

The weird part is that this is becoming a trend in online software. Just like magento 2 which is getting worser by the day (10 times slower then magento 1 and requiring double the server performance). I hope google will create a big negative indexed impact based on website performance, forcing avada and the others to change their logic.

B W
    Participant

@Jetxpert & @Marcwales

The application has reached feature saturation and they just keep adding more junk without cleaning up the backend mess or allowing proper de-queueing of unused assets.

@Marcwales
    – I found the mitostudios analysis you posted to be consistent with the testing I have done. I’ve even separately paid for support after it expired, opened tickets about this exact issue, and got the polite brush off.

I really appreciate the Avada test link. It is consistent with my own testing. I guess what makes me more than a bit frustrated is the disabling of many of the features is one of the OFFICIAL Avada approaches. Upon paying for support this is one of the things they told me to do with almost no performance improvement. Why am I angry? I WASTED many hours of time for almost nothing. How many hundreds, or thousands of customers have tried something similar and spent collectively 10’s or 100’s of thousands of wasted hours on techniques they KNOW do not work?
    https://www.mitostudios.com/blog/avada-speed-performance-fine-tuning-and-analysis/

This performance mess needs to be cleaned up.

Then there is the W3C code compliance. There is so much old GARBAGE and non-standards compliant coding and crud it is frightening. Running the Avada code through the testing tools shows MOUNTAINS of garbage. Worse still, at one point I started checking and probably 20-30% of the CSS and a fair amount of JS is no longer even used but it is still in there!

I’ve started my migration away from Avada to a more compliant and performance oriented theme. I’m still working on that one offline and will eventually replace Avada. I just keep pinging all of the theme comparison sites insisting they do performance testing as well and I am starting to see some of that. Until customers become aware BEFORE they purchase, and it starts to affect their sales, it won’t make much difference. After all, today, you don’t discover how HUGE the performance issue is until after you buy it. Once they have the money there is no incentive for performance improvements. Only more feature bloat to convince more people to buy.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.