Home Forums Community Forum AVADA’s Huge Performance Problem

Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

@B W

I could go on for ages here but I will choose not to, as it will not help either way. I will say the following, in response to:

“then you point to justification for more code and feature bloat. While I understand adding new bells and whistles, what is NOT being addressed are the regular, constant calls for a focus on performance fixes. THOSE user requests appear to be ignored because they are often discovered AFTER the theme is purchased and after you have your money.” [SIC]

You can read Markus’ reply and then reinterpret it however best suits the narrative. If you were a part of our development team and/or roadmap plans, you would be well aware of what goes on in the background, but you are not. To assert that we do not address/are not willing to address/could care less/are ignoring important factors like performance in favor of producing only bells and whistles is simply misguided.

Et al

– Regarding unused resources: this is an area we are already targeting to improve. There will be incremental improvements to this along the way but this needs to be part of a larger performance focused release and will include wideranging changes to the way content is delivered – not just the CSS. Also as stated above, there is a lot more to performance than the this. If you do check this in other vendors you will find very similar results.

– We do not deny that there are always areas to improve and we are actively working on them. Some things can take a little longer, some take a little more time, but everyone at ThemeFusion works hard to improve the user experience even further. Site performance is an important topic and we’ll keep working on it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Michael.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Michael.
    B W
    Participant

Okay Michael, again, I can appreciate that I do not have the full picture. I get it.

So, how about posting or publishing the roadmap items, and the specific initiative, directly related to fixing the CSS and JS bloat to improve performance. Maybe they are out there and I missed them. I’m more than willing to accept that I missed things and would even apologize, but how about providing the actual roadmap items? Where can I see a list of the performance items being worked on?

If anyone does a search, the claims of performance problems go back several years. Yet they do not seem to be a focus. Again, I am MORE THAN HAPPY TO BE PROVEN WRONG! It would mean I wouldn’t have to switch and rebuild my entire web site! THAT is something I would be excited about so PLEASE point me to the roadmap or proof that performance is a focus on future updates. ESPECIALLY mobile performance!

B W
    Participant

You suggested CSS and JS performance is being addressed so again I ask, how about that roadmap showing that performance is getting addressed? I have wasted LITERALLY hundreds of hours trying to find ways to get better performance WITHOUT re-coding this theme. I turn off various components and there is no difference.

I’m reaching a place where my investment will be in another theme and I will make it a regular weekly habit to post messages to all of the theme comparison sites to address BOTH the performance, AND the CSS compliance. After all, the W3C IS the internet standards organization for CSS and HTML. Maybe if more sites started checking the CSS and HTML validator as part of their reviews, enough people would see the problems and they might actually get addressed when they impact sales. Especially when that compliance check identifies that some of the CSS you are using is deprecated and no longer valid!

When can I expect a link to the roadmap items showing the CSS and JS cleanup as well as performance improvements?

mfuetterer
    Participant

I’m confused about the Pagespeed insights.
    Google says my site is extremely slow (score 13), but loading the site in different private sessions in browsers shows a top performance reaction on loading, scrolling and clicking.

So ist feels like a 90 but is scored as a 13.

How come?

B W
    Participant

Use the Chrome tools through a Chrome Incognito browser. Be sure to close ALL Incognito browsers before each test.

1. After opening an Incognito window, click the 3 dots on the right hand side of Chrome tool bar.
    2. On the menu, select – More Tools > Developer Tools.
    3. On the developer menu, at the far right, you will see “Lighthouse”, select that option.
    4. Select the options you want and run the mobile test.
    5. Keep in mind you will need to click the “Clear All” button on the console and on the report too.

Then evaluate the details of your results.

Here are some other testing options:

https://www.webpagetest.org/ – be sure to choose one of the mobile options for test location and browser. Also, consider the advanced options for loading.

W3C IS THE GLOBAL INTERNET STANDARDS ORGANIZATION! THERE IS NO HIGHER AUTHORITY! THEY CONTROL THE CODING STANDARDS AND METHODS FOR HTML, (X)HTML, CSS, ETC. So IGNORE any excuses from folks who suggest otherwise.

CSS Validator (where there is a GIGANTIC amount of bloat and problems)
    https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML Validator check
    https://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri

===========
    List of W3C validator tools.
    https://w3c.github.io/developers/tools/

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by B W.
    mfuetterer
    Participant

That’s what I mean.

I get a 85 rating from the browser (Desktop).
    But a 23 (mobile).

As I said, it fails like a 90 so 85 is reasonable.

From Googles Insight Page on the contrary, it’s below 20. Desktop and Mobile.
    So maybe location is an issue, too.

B W
    Participant

So, is it just a few of us that are having performance problems? Have YOU checked your site to see what its performance is like? Check out many of the links in this thread for how to check you OWN site’s performance and post the results here…

What good is a great design if no one ever bothers to see it because of the performance issues?

dorys
    Participant

I’d like to add to this thread to add my voice with regards to the performance issues. I absolutely love the flexibility of this theme and the ability it gives me to offer a very customized theme to my clients with relative ease and cost to them.

However, almost all of my clients with this theme are experiencing huge performance issues. I’ve tried everything I could find to improve performance, but to no avail.

The only option I’m seeing is to re-do their sites with a different, lightweight theme. This is a problem as they will have to pay me to re-do their sites, not fair to them.

I really hope the Avada team addresses this performance issue in very short order or they will start to find themselves losing market share.

B W
    Participant

Sadly, I **USED** to be a big supporter of Avada but no more. On these user forums, you frequently find the Avada Devs jumping in to tell you that anything you encounter is all your fault. Whether they start sayin check the plugins, W3C is wrong, it works so tough luck, and finally, if none of that works, their commentary usually is some subtle form of “you’re stupid and we are right so just go away!”. It usually goes “open a support ticket and don’t show our nasty coding problems here on this forum.”

I hate to be so blunt and so frustrated but it has gone way past reasonable.

The one TINY saving grace is with WordPress updating the core to move away from old JQuery they will be forced to re-factor the code. BUT, I don’t expect much. There is NO DOUBT they will do only the absolutely minimum to get things working. The dependency crap for unused JS will stay, old CRAP CSS will stay, and overall bloat will still be there.

For me, I’m slowly making the transition to a newer, lighter theme and will go back to alternate methods for improved user experience. I used Avada because it was supposed to save me time. Now I see it has been such a MASSIVE FAILURE on performance, I would have been light years ahead spending the hundreds of hours of trying performance tweaks instead on hand coding with a better theme.

By the way, on their item of “open a support ticket” for your problems. I went ahead and paid for more support and did exactly that. Have raised several issues, including a bug with their equal height containers, problems with deprecated CSS / bad JS, and overall performance problems. I get the “we are working on it” message. When I ask for a roadmap or something that I can say, “okay, I need to wait until release xyz” I just get crickets.

surajt
    Participant

This is the exact issue I have been facing since the Core Web Vitals update from google. The speed factor has affected my SERPS drastically and ranking is dropped for more than 50 keywords.

I have been optimizing my site regularly for speed and also trying WP ROCKET plugin but seems like no luck.

The Avada theme is good but is affecting the speed factor. I have been using it for the last 3 years. Sadly not sure how to solve this issue. Hopefully, some update from Avada or if anyone comes up with a solution.

Cheers

WeGetDigital
    Participant

WOW – and I thought maybe I had done something wrong with the site build! I do think that Theme Fusion need to address the site speed issue, however they do this! Or at least let people know that it’s a choice… great design or great speed?

I too have a super fast server and the site actually loads okay… but, when running through tests it is a disaster! Not good in 2020…

It would be great to know if there is anything that can be done with an update or a special ‘AVADA clean up’ plugin/button that could be created!

I have been using AVADA for over 7 years now and would hate to leave but without any speed up solutions on the horizon….. what choice?

Any immediate solutions most welcome.

B W
    Participant

If you want to know what little bit you CAN do, and what won’t work, then install the AMP plugin. That plugin interrogates ALL of the JS, CSS, and HTML info.

What I found is that even JS I didn’t want is often plugged into several other areas and so can not be disabled! So much of it is direct dependencies that it is scary!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Only users with a registered purchase of Avada can post to the community forum. Please register your purchase here.