By default, WordPress orders posts and custom posts types by their publish date. These include blog posts, portfolio posts, FAQs, and the like. The Avada theme also reinforces this order with Fusion sliders and Elastic sliders. To learn how to re-order posts and custom post types, please continue reading below.
Posts & Custom Post Types
Below are the posts and custom post types that you can re-order.
- Blog Posts – Blog posts found in the ‘Posts’ tab.
- Media Posts – Media posts found in the ‘Media’ tab.
- Portfolio Posts – Portfolio posts found in the ‘Portfolio’ tab.
- FAQ Posts – FAQ posts found in the ‘FAQs’ tab.
- Orders – WooCommerce orders found in the ‘WooCommerce’ tab.
- Coupons – WooCommerce coupons found in the ‘WooCommerce’ tab.
- Fusion Slides – Fusion slides found in the ‘Fusion Slider’ tab.
- Elastic Slides – Elastic slides found in the ‘Elastic Slider’ tab.
- Events – Events Calendar events found in the ‘Events’ tab.
- Venues – Events Calendar venues found in the ‘Events’ tab.
- Organizers – Events Calendar organizers found in the ‘Events’ tab.
Re-Order Posts Manually
Because the posts are ordered by their publish date by default, you can manually manipulate your posts publish dates to get them in the order you’d prefer. The post with the oldest date appears last, and the post with the earliest date appears first.
Step 1 – Navigate to the posts you’d like to re-order. For example, blog posts in the ‘Posts’ tab.
Step 2 – Hover over a post, and you’ll see the ‘Quick Edit’ link. Click this to bring up the main details of a post, such as title, slug, date, and the like.
Step 3 – In the ‘Date’ field, change the date and time accordingly.
Step 4 – Repeat steps 2-3 for all the posts you’d like to re-order.
Using Post Types Order Plugin
If you have a lot of posts to re-order and can’t do it manually, you can use the Post Types Order plugin. This plugin is very useful and can let your re-order most posts and custom post types. Continue reading below to learn how to install and use this plugin.
How To Install The Post Types Order Plugin
Step 1 – Go to the Plugins > Add New tab of your WP admin sidebar.
Step 2 – In the search bar on the upper right side of the screen, search for ‘Post Types Order’. It’ll be the first search result and the plugin created by Nsp Code.
Step 3 – Once you’ve found the correct plugin, click the ‘Install Now’ button.
Step 4 – Wait for the plugin to finish installing. Once it’s finished, click the ‘Activate Plugin’ link and wait for the plugin to finish activating.
How To Use The Post Types Order Plugin
Step 1 – Go to Settings > Post Types Order tab on your WP admin sidebar to bring up the options for the plugin.
Step 2 – On this page, you can set which interface to enable or disable. For example, you can choose ‘Hide’ for the Post option to disable the re-order feature on blog posts.
Step 3 – To re-order posts, hover on the tab of the post you’d like to re-order, then select ‘Re-Order’. For example, if you’d like to re-order your Portfolio posts, hover on the ‘Portfolio’ tab on your WP admin sidebar and select the ‘Re-Order’ option.